Sunday, March 13, 2005

yuppie guppie

hey folks, sorry i've been mia. i've been house sitting all weekend and so i haven't been home to write asinine stories about my life (or lack thereof). i don't really have much to talk about either. it's been a pretty slow weekend. i was suppose to work yesterday, but the party didn't happen so instead i sat around questioning my life and found myself coming to the realization that i may, in fact, be a yuppie.

i was once called a yuppie by this random old chick at a show in austin. it was pretty funny actually. there was a group of us and we were friends with the guys playing (who are far from being any sort of yuppie-esque) and we were all standing around talking and i was somehow the only one she called a yuppie. in fact, i think her words were something like 'shut up yuppie.' she had asked a question and it created some witty banter among us all...apparently whatever my witty comment was got me my ass handed to me. nobody really understood where she was coming from. everyone just kinda laughed an awkward 'what the hell was that' laugh. and all we could conclude was that i had a black turtleneck sweater and glasses on. apparently that look is the standard yuppie look.

anyway, i was always kinda bothered by that comment. probably because i've always thought of the word yuppie as being synonymous with pretentious. and i have never in my life thought of myself as such. especially since i like cheese and beer so much.

as i drove through a seriously questionable neighborhood yesterday (read: the ghetto) i found myself locking the doors and keeping my eyes peeled for random gang fights. last thing i wanted was to get clocked in the head b/c i didn't think to get bulletproof windows before heading to that part of town. once i parked, triple checked that my doors were locked, and walked up to the apartment i was suppose to be entertaining at, i stopped, turned around, and went back to my car to take my 'w' sticker out of the window. i'd been meaning to do it since the election anyway and since i was in an area i assumed wasn't so much republican i thought it might be a good move. my little foreign beaut of a car was already screaming 'break into me' considering it was even in the neighborhood, last thing i needed was to advertise it with a bush sticker. anyway, it ended up there was a mixup with the party and it wasn't taking place afterall so i drove home. with doors locked, and eyes peeled.

i stopped at starbucks once i was back in my part of town and as i sat drinking my 1/2 caf., non-fat, sugar-free hazelnut, no foam latte i couldn't help but think about how i reacted to the area i was just in. maybe i am a bit of a yuppie. and my only saving grace is the fact that i love cheese.

but then again, it's usually speciality cheese.

1 Comments:

At Monday, March 14, 2005 4:01:00 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Ha! That last line slays me! You're hilarious.

I'm not sure if your affinity for cheese really makes you a yuppie as much as it does a totally bitchin' party animal. ROCK-N-ROLL!!!

Here's a question to help determine the degree of your yuppiness: does your little foreign beut of a car have either an American flag sticker or one of those ubiquitous yellow 'Support Our Troops' ribbon magnets? The dubbya sticker may satisfy this yuppie requirement, but since it has been retired, may I suggest a soccer sticker with the name "Madison" or "Skyler" underneath it? While your pondering that little nugget of white boy wisdom, have yourself another smoked salmon sushi roll and a Red Bull cuz you're going to need the energy for your trip to Neimans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home